Updated: Feb 18, 2019
We want you to have a great thanksgiving with your family! Here are 5 quick tips and ideas to help your child stay regulated and involved this holiday season.
1. Get plenty of sleep!
2. Get lots of muscle work.
- Take a long walk outside before guest or family arrive (or you leave)
- Play and run at a favorite park or playground
- Make an obstacle course in your backyard or playground
- Have them help carry groceries to and from the car
- Knead pie crust or cookie dough
- Help set table
- Wash windows or tables
3. Make a visual schedule so your child knows what is coming.
4. Have a quiet space your child can retreat to. This could be either a room or quiet area where your child could read or look at a book, listen to rhythmical music, or play with their favorite toy.
5. Provide activities for your child to do to help with transitions. Having a fine motor bin is a great way to readily have activities when your child needs them. You could include..
- scissors & index cards for cutting various lines and shapes
- clothespins and sticks for building houses or objects with
- legos- everyone loves legos!
- beads and pipe cleaners or string to make necklaces, bracelets, etc
- coloring books or papers with preferred shapes and pictures to color
Give a few of those tips a try and let us know how they work! Have a great Thanksgiving!